Sunday, March 30, 2014

Santa Monica Mountains

I have been painting this week and stitching a little also.  Lately, the Santa Monica Mountains have been appearing in my work.  They come and go in my work weaving their magic into my life.  I have painted them in watercolor, oil, fabric and thread, and now I am painting them in acrylic.  I have not thought about them recurring in my work until recently. It just happens.  It's no wonder that they are appearing.  I end most of my days with a walk at the beach and look at these beautiful mountains for half of my walk.  For the past 23 years I have hiked them with my husband, son and friends.  They are important in my life.

This is a painting I started last night.  I could not decide what to work on so I pulled out three unfinished mostly forgotten canvases and panels.  This canvas had a painting from my night series, a half way finished moon.  I did not like it but thought I would work on the moon.  Something came over me and I flipped the painting around and painted Santa Monica Mountains from what I could remember from my walk. Not sure where I will go with this but it felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment